Wednesday, November 28, 2012


                My frustration from conversations with my family over Thanksgiving have finally manifested in a coherent idea that doubles as a personal revelation about the process I went through when I left the church.  This idea, to me, was the shattering of so many illusions, it also remains the most frustrating aspect to deal with whenever religion comes up with my family. This “revelation” was that the church, Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, none of this was the exception. It was the rule.
                I study people; groups actually. How various organizations act with each other and compete is fascinating to me, if those organizations have armies and control large amounts of land, even better. I used to go to BYU-Idaho and was effectively able to compartmentalize my study of people and politics with the church. They didn’t overlay. I saw no inconsistencies with my personal faith and my ideas that Iran should become more secular. I had vague musing about how Jesus Christ would bring about political change during the second coming, but I assumed it would be brilliant and spectacular and not at all like a middle-eastern warlord who finally has the personal power to bring about his political goals.
                Despite my, admittedly limited, education, I believed that the church was the exception. I “knew” that Joseph Smith had seen God, despite the fact that another man with a similar history in a more modern setting would simply have been a crazy. The claims of “modern day prophets” were treated as holy statements from a loving heavenly father, whereas the claims of Shoko Asahara (founder of Aum Shinriko) were simply the ravings of a deluded man who wanted power. All of my faith unraveled in an instant when I realized that there are no exceptions, there is only what is. The LDS church is not the exception to the rule, it IS the rule.
                The personal revelation is unfortunately borne of recent frustrations with my family. When I made the foolish decision to comment that statements like “war on the family” are misnomers, I opened up the doors of my mother’s worst societal fears.  My accumulated knowledge of facts were useless and simply maddening in this sense. She became emotion and I become emotion. Nothing was solved, we simply got very frustrated with each other. When I looked back as to why that entire situation had gone so poor I realized the aforementioned personal revelation. I will not be able to make any progress with any individual in the church until they realize that the church is governed by the same psychology as everyone else. (I also am unlikely to make progress with my family if they feel threatened by me as they obviously do, but that’s a discussion for another time.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I stumbled across your blog post entirely by chance but I'm surprised how applicable my recent research is to your post.

    You state that "the church is governed by the same psychology as everyone else." This simply isn't true. (Please pardon my directness - I can't think of a way to put that tactfully right now. lol) The leadership of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regularly attempts to get the membership to think for themselves and break-away from subjective thinking patterns. For example:

    “We talk of obedience, but do we require any man or woman to ignorantly obey the counsels that are given? Do the First Presidency require it? No, never.” (President Joseph F. Smith, Journal of Discourses JD 16:248)

    “President Wilford Woodruff is a man of wisdom and experience, and we respect him, but we do not believe his personal views or utterances are revelations from God; and when ‘Thus saith the Lord’, comes from him, the saints investigate it: they do not shut their eyes and take it down like a pill.” (President Charles W. Penrose, Millennial Star 54:191)

    “And none are required to tamely and blindly submit to a man because he has a portion of the priesthood. We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark, that they would do anything they were told to do by those who presided over them, if they knew it was wrong; but such obedience as this is worse than folly to us; it is slavery in the extreme; and the man who would thus willingly degrade himself should not claim a rank among intelligent beings, until he turns from his folly. A man of God… would despise the idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the saints were told to do by their presidents, they should do it without asking any questions. When Elders of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they have it in their minds to do wrong themselves.” (Millennial Star 14:38, pp. 593-95)

    “What a pity it would be, if we were led by one man to utter destruction! Are you afraid of this? I am more afraid that this people have so much confidence in their leaders that they will not inquire for themselves of God whether they are led by him. I am fearful they settle down in a state of blind self-security, trusting their eternal destiny in the hands of their leaders with a reckless confidence that in itself would thwart the purposes of God in their salvation, and weaken the influence they could give to their leaders, did they know for themselves, by the revelations of Jesus, that they are led in the right way. Let every man and woman know, themselves, whether their leaders are walking in the path the Lord dictates, or not. This has been my exhortation continually.” (Brigham Young, JD 9:150)

    “President Joseph Smith read the 14th chapter of Ezekiel [see, for example, verses 9-10: 'If the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing...the punishment of the prophet shall be even as the punishment of him that seeketh unto him.']…said the Lord had declared by the Prophet [Ezekiel], that the people should each one stand for himself, and depend on no man or men in that state of corruption of the Jewish church — that righteous persons could only deliver their own souls — applied it to the present state [1842] of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — said if the people departed from the Lord, they must fall — that they were depending on the Prophet, hence were darkened in their minds, in consequence of neglecting the duties devolving upon themselves…” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith pp. 237-38)

    ...and so forth. There are a lot of quotations to this effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post- the quotes which you have supplied are very good ones and show that there are those within the church who value investigation and examination. With that being said, I begin to feel that I may not have been entirly clear in my post- my point was less that LDS church members do not examine their faith, but that we all have issues which we do not hold under the same levels of scrutiny. In my journey I noticed that I personally did not subject my religion to the same level of inquery that I did my politics. My personal revelation was that there are no exceptions to the rule, not even religion. Everything should be subject to our analysis because we are all human

      Delete